PDA

View Full Version : Methods of Contraception...

Reena
19-04-2007, 10:59
A little something you all should know.....I did this topic on my other forum - its all in the name of education!

Contraception is free for women and men of all ages through the National Health Service.

Methods of contraception:

The combined pill
The combined pill is usually just called the pill. It contains two hormones – estrogen and progestogen. These are similar to the natural hormones women produce in their ovaries. There are a number of different combined pills.

Contraceptive injections
Contraceptive injections contain a progestogen hormone which is similar to the natural progesterone that women produce in their ovaries. There are 2 types of injection. Depo-Provera protects you from pregnancy for 12 weeks and Noristerat protects you for 8 weeks. Both of these are very effective hormonal methods of contraception. Depo-Provera is the most commonly used in the UK.

Diaphragms and caps
Diaphragms and caps are barrier methods of contraception. They fit inside your vagina and cover your cervix (entrance to the womb). They come in different shapes and sizes. Vaginal diaphragms are circular domes made of thin, soft latex (rubber) or silicone with a flexible rim. Cervical caps are smaller and are made of latex or silicone. To be effective, diaphragms and caps need to be used with a spermicide. Spermicides are chemicals that kill sperm.

The intrauterine device (IUD)
An IUD is a small plastic and copper device that is put into your womb. It has one or two soft threads on the end. These thin threads hang through the opening at the entrance of your womb (cervix) into the top of your vagina.

Contraceptive implant
An implant is a small flexible rod that is placed just under your skin in your upper arm. It releases a progestogen hormone similar to the natural progesterone that women produce in their ovaries. The implant that is available in the UK is called Implanon. It works for up to 3 years.

The contraceptive patch
The contraceptive patch is a small, thin, beige coloured patch, nearly 5cm x 5cm in size. You stick it on your skin and it releases 2 hormones – estrogen and progestogen. These are similar to the natural hormones that women produce in their ovaries and like those used in the combined oral contraceptive pill. The patch available in the UK is known as Evra.

Male and female condoms
Male and female condoms are barrier methods of contraception. They stop sperm meeting an egg. A male condom fits over a man's erect penis and is made of very thin latex (rubber) or polyurethane (plastic). A female condom is made of very thin polyurethane. It is put into the vagina and loosely lines it. Femidom is the only female condom available in the UK.

The progestogen-only pill (POP)
This pill contains a progestogen hormone which is similar to the natura projesterone women produce in their ovaries. Progestogen-only pills are different to combined pills because they do not contain any oestrogen. There are different types of POP available, some containing different progestogens.

Emergency contraception
If you have had sex without using contraception or think your method might have failed there are two emergency methods you can use.

The emergency hormonal pill – must be taken up to 3 days (72 hours) after sex. It is more effective, the earlier it is taken after sex.
An IUD – must be fitted up to 5 days after sex, or up to 5 days after the earliest time you could have released an egg (ovulation).
Ask your doctor or nurse about gettng emergency pills in advance, just in case you need them.

If you ever need free and confidential advice contact your local Brook Advisory Clinic and remember the best method of protection is abstinence!!!!

Hope that helps ladies...

Confuzzled
19-04-2007, 11:11
Ahh thankuuu Reena :D

Saprina
19-04-2007, 11:12
hmm v intrestin!..........

DJ B4VVY
19-04-2007, 11:15
Thanks I'll keep that in mind!

The only ones I've ever used are condoms and the morning after pill! We learnt about some others in school but I've never heard of some of them, but it's good to know!

Confuzzled
19-04-2007, 11:20
yeah same here ^

Reena
19-04-2007, 12:32
Its amazing the types out there, something to suit everyone!

See..i can do educational :D

Sidra240
19-04-2007, 12:34
intresting....heard some of them but not all

Ridz
19-04-2007, 12:50
Cool! interesting facts :D

$xy $onz
19-04-2007, 15:32
i only knew 2 out of all dat

reena r u a teacher??

u knw evry type

Reena
19-04-2007, 15:55
LOL no hun, its just a google job. Its amazing how many females are not aware of the different types of contraception available, at school they only tell you of the basic ones, such as condoms, pill, cap and IUD but i suppose even then you don't really take it all in until you're thinking of a longer term solution of protection against pregnancy.

Just remember people they will not stop you from getting an STI!

$xy $onz
19-04-2007, 15:56
i neva paid atenntion in skol so no learnt nufin der lol

Brown Sugar Baby
19-04-2007, 17:13
interesting!...........