PDA

View Full Version : Deadly virus phone threat causes Pakistan panic

Iroquois Pliskin
29-04-2007, 03:35
KARACHI (Reuters) - Mobile service providers in Pakistan have been inundated by calls from subscribers worried by a prank message that they could die of a deadly virus being transmitted via their phones.

The rumor was so effective that some mosques in the country's biggest city, Karachi, made announcements that people were being killed by a mobile virus and they should be aware of God's wrath.

In a prank reminiscent of the plot in the hit Hollywood movie "The Ring" in which people die within a week after watching a video, the prankster warned users that a deadly virus transmitted through phones had killed 20 people.

There are more than 52 million mobile users among 160 million people in Pakistan.
(javascript:void(window.open('http://www.reuters.com/news/pictures/slideshow?collectionId=257&src=042807_MIDART_editorschoice','slideshowWin','t op=50,left=100,height=580,resizable=yes,width=733, scrollbars=auto')))
Farah Hussain, a spokeswoman for Warid Telecom, said that their customer service centers had been inundated with panicky subscribers inquiring about the so-called virus.

The cellular operators moved to calm down subscribers and said in a joint statement: "These rumors are completely baseless. They do not make any sense in technological terms."

Its a pisstake.. LMAO..

Discuss..

diva2620
29-04-2007, 04:26
apartently thats happening in Bangladesh aswell??

Guji-Ji
29-04-2007, 09:57
ha ha i can imagine it. (in a fresy accent): Heelp! My phone has a virus, what medicine shall i give it?'

loafar
29-04-2007, 10:29
yeh this was happening in india aswell they were showing it on star..... one of my uncles mates was say he tried calling home and phone was switched off so called some next guy in the village as was told his parents are shitting it so turned fone off, We called back home and my grandmother was tellin my dad, pops was like its all bullshit man.........

just shows how simple some people are believe anything back home

desimack
02-05-2007, 08:22
They are superstitious back home neway what do u expect

Aaryana Afghan
07-05-2007, 05:33
yaa last month it was the biggest news in the town
but now its Ok nothing to woory about except our deeds.