PDA

View Full Version : Do religious factors influence politics???

pooBUMbiggins
06-12-2005, 15:07
ok, basically i been thinking about this quite abit and i've also had major discussions on whether religion influences politicians to act/ think the way they do?

yes, i understand most countries politics are based upon the leading/main religion present and also the religion of the politician also has a great part to play...
but to what extent does religion determine rules and regulations within politics?

Are religious leaders righteous to act upon religious beliefs? or should politics be based onhuman morals rather than the teachings of religious scriptures???

and this then causes mayhem and religious arguments and detriments?

Safi
06-12-2005, 15:13
oh my gosh!! so scary! i was havin dis exact debate in clas wid my tutor!!
ave u heard of religious fundamentalism? wel its part of our course, n we was sayin that this is the method by which religion n politics cross, n intertwine.....so weird dat u shud mention dat, bt an additional factor in our debate was dat of globalisation, hw globalisation has help nt only religion becum politics bt 2 further its interconnectedness.....

pooBUMbiggins
06-12-2005, 15:24
awww wicked.. .. you can soo help me... i have to do a report and well as ive already asked this question on banana's site i thought i may just aswell use any feedback and incorporate others views into my work..

and also through a discussion you think along other lines/ means of thought.

yeh i've heard of religious fundamentalism but im not too aware of it, if you know what i mean!

Safi
06-12-2005, 15:26
wel wots teh q?
n id defo read into religious fundamentalism...ders sum really gud buks on it

pooBUMbiggins
06-12-2005, 15:31
is it... cool thank you

"What part does religion play in decisions made by politicians."

Safi
06-12-2005, 15:34
oooo interestin, wel wot u wana do is get 2 the politics section of teh library n luk 4 religious fundamentalism n hopefully it should giv u atleast a couple of examples of the ansa 2 ur q.....u'l find dat fundamentalism wil cum up, n dat 9/11 wil b used everywer as a major contribution 2 the new n connection between religion n politics....wud u lyk me 2 find a buklist 4 u?

pooBUMbiggins
06-12-2005, 15:53
if its not a problem...its key skills stuff at the moment level 3... im quite into politics and everytime i do have a political debate no matter how hard we try; religious factors will always ocme inbetween... its as of politics thrives on religion and thta is its growth... weird i know but truthful i guess

Safi
06-12-2005, 15:56
i tink it may b cuz ur values n priorities arise frm ur religion n often dats y they come interplay...il jst get sum of teh buks on my module readin list....

pooBUMbiggins
06-12-2005, 15:58
thaaaaaaaanks that would be wikkid.. am gng now got a lesson... will check this thrusday now... cos im at clothes show tmorra hopefully..........and cnt view this damn ass bulky sight at home:|

Safi
06-12-2005, 16:20
man i jst posted long reply n it loggd me out! so mad!!

anyhoo i foudn a lecture dat u might find interestin, gist if it is, u luk at religious communities, den u luk at seculkaristion n facts n figures which u cn find on internet, most stat sites husd ave it, try google, en it goes on 2 explore the role of religion u cud use a sociology buk 4 dis...., den u luk at hw important religion actualy is by lukin at fundamentalism, try karan armstrong's battle for god, as well as historical perpectives, n things lyk teh axial age, where there was 2 types of thinkin mythos n logos, n hw these may 2day b seen present 2geda as politics arena...alot of these arguments r about issues lyk modernity n globalisation etc etc
n ul find examples such as 9/11 n teh Israeli battle
n plenty of exaples of fundamentalism, eg christian islamic n much mo...

Safi
06-12-2005, 16:23
try sum of these buks frm my list! lol
anything by karen armstrong
selngut, J. sacred fury is 1 of our course readers...
try antoun, R. understandinf fundamentalism 4 a brief overview in 2 fundamentalism n if u aint heard of wikipedia try dat 4 jst brief explanations altho dnt quote cuz it aint the most genuine of its production n u might get penalised
try also Pinto, M. Political islam and the Unied states
Neusner, J. god's rule, teh politics of worl religions

Safi
06-12-2005, 16:26
some of the titles r very long bt im sure ul spot the buks, try 2 go formore recent buks rather than older editions or older buks, they tend 2 b mo relevant in their arguments, goes without sayin really....try also
Moussalli, A. teh islamic quest for democraxy, pluralism and human rights
Kepel, G. jihad, the trial of political islam, (dats bout ismalmic democracy)
Heyward, political ideologies
halliday, F, islam and myth of confrontation, eligion and politics in the middle east
or any oda buks by this guy
Brown , L. religion and state

Safi
06-12-2005, 16:27
or even sum beta uns, Ali, T. clash of fundamentalism
Baylis and Smith, the globalisation of world politics
Berger, P. the desecularisation of teh world, resurgentreligion and world politics

Safi
06-12-2005, 16:28
let me knw if u need ne help
safi_kay@hotmail.com

pooBUMbiggins
08-12-2005, 15:47
thank you soo much masha allah thanks for ur help again...wicked and really appreciate it... i will defos check up on those andddd add you to my msn buddies list haha

Safi
08-12-2005, 17:08
nething 2 help!
xx