PDA

View Full Version : Is this laptop worth £360

MizzyBone
03-09-2007, 16:49
The sleek, silver Advent 8117 laptop has a powerful Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor and 17’’ widescreen monitor. Organise and store more photos, music and DVDs with Windows Vista Home Premium and the huge 120Gb hard drive. It’s wireless enabled, so you can connect to an existing wireless network.

http://www.currys.co.uk/images/401567_01_large.jpg

Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor T2080
1.70GHz, 533MHz FSB, 1MB Cache
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
1GB Memory
120GB Hard Drive
DVD ReWriter
17" Widescreen Display
Wireless Enabled
Upto 2 hours battery life
3.6kg Weight
Battery TypeLi-Ion Battery life (up to)2.0 hoursCD-ROM Speed48 xEnabling access to CD ROM data. The higher the number the faster the speedCD-RW Speed.24 xEnabling you to access and store data on CD-RW disks. The higher the number the faster the speedColourSilver/Silver/Silver DVD-ROM Speed8 xEnabling you access to data on DVD. The higher the number the faster the speedDVD-RW Speed4 xEnabling you to store data on DVD. The higher the number the faster the speedDepth285.5 mmGraphics Card TypeIntegrated To enable images to be displayed on your monitorGraphics Memory128 sHARED MBThe higher the memory the better quality images you are displayHard Drive Capacity120 GbThe bigger the capacity the more you can storeHeight44.4 mmInfrared Port IncludedNO Allowing you to connect to other devices with infrared such as an infrared enabled mobile phoneMemory Size1024 MBMemory TypeDDR II No. of Firewire Connections1 High speed data transfer link for digital video and other media. Ideal for quickly downloading video images from a camcorder to PCNo. of USB Connections3 The more connections the computer has the more equipment you can connect to your computer e.g. a modem, printer, scanner, digital camera, PDAOperating systemVista Premium Your software depends on the Operating System to make the computer functional. Look for either Windows XP (or Mac OS X Tiger on Apple computers)Optical DrivesDVD-RW Processor TypeIntel Screen Size/Type17" WXGA Software Titles IncludedMicrosoft Works 8.5 Sound TypeAZALIA To enable you to have sound from your computer which is great for games, movies and musicWeight3.6 kgThis is the weight of the appliance in KGWidth402 mmWireless EnabledYES Allows you to connect to an existing wireless network such as in a office or a wireless hot spot

Do you think this is worth £360?

Zero
03-09-2007, 18:11
To be honest I dont like the fact that it has vista.

Also the processor could be faster than 1.7 ghz.

HD and memory are thumbsup;

Im sure you could get a better deal with Dell? No?

Cheeky_Princess
03-09-2007, 18:37
Zero: you could get a better deal with dell... but trust me... dell batteries are the worst i mean ive had my laptop for a year... the battery should last 3 hours but now it only lasts 1 hour.... and my bros laptop also frm dell... been a year and a bit... his battery doesnt even work anymore!

zoned
03-09-2007, 18:51
Zero: you could get a better deal with dell... but trust me... dell batteries are the worst i mean ive had my laptop for a year... the battery should last 3 hours but now it only lasts 1 hour.... and my bros laptop also frm dell... been a year and a bit... his battery doesnt even work anymore!

most laptop batteries are like that...they need changing after a year or so..also if you keep it constantly charging it drains the life right out of the battery

the price is alright for what your getting still probs wouldn't hurt looking at others or elsewhere

AmericanBoi
03-09-2007, 19:11
to be honest dells suck big time. i personally dont like dells. the only reason is cos they have a copyright issue which means if u ever want to change a part on a dell system u have to get it from dell most of the times.
and this laptop is alright if u are not gonna be using for extreme gaming or high level coding. if u gonna be playing games then never get a integrated graphics card! majority of the games dont support integrated cards.

and zero laptops dont support alot of fast processors like my new lenovo is the same like this one its pentium dual core 1.7 ghz.

i did not read about expandable memory does it support it? or did i miss something?
check that. cos in the near future u might want to get it upto 2gigs and if it doesnt have extra memory slots then no point in getting it.

hdd is fine u can always get a new cheap hdd off ebay for dells if u ever fall short.

and VISTA oh man i hate vista i downgraded my lenovo from vista to XP cos i dont like vista, its a total waste of system resources. takes up alot of memory.

Cheeky_Princess
03-09-2007, 19:11
most laptop batteries are like that...they need changing after a year or so..also if you keep it constantly charging it drains the life right out of the battery

Oh right i see now thanks

lineyman
03-09-2007, 19:30

Yes but its a dual core processor will run faster than your average processor, sooner or later everyone will turn to Vista!

AmericanBoi
03-09-2007, 19:32

its 2X1.7ghz

lineyman
03-09-2007, 19:37
its 2X1.7ghz

Exactly my point the processor is good only thing I can knock it back on is its graphics card its SHARED graphics not the greatest for gaming.

Ritz_Crackers
03-09-2007, 20:12
Only 2 hours battery life?! That's sounds really dodgy. Cos the Dual Core processor is supposed to drain less power than the single core ones. So I don't understand why it only has 2 hours battery life.

MizzyBone
03-09-2007, 20:58
Ok seems like apart from Liney and Americanboi most people don't like, in which case I would like you to show me a better alternative if you can :) in terms of value for money, my budget is anywhere from 300-700 but I don't want to pay for an OTT model and features I won't use I won't use e.g. playing videogames

lineyman
03-09-2007, 21:10
Only 2 hours battery life?! That's sounds really dodgy. Cos the Dual Core processor is supposed to drain less power than the single core ones. So I don't understand why it only has 2 hours battery life.

All 17inch laptop take more battery power my sister has a top of the range Sony 17 inch laptop battery lasts arouind 2-2 and half hours.

AmericanBoi
03-09-2007, 21:16
Ok seems like apart from Liney and Americanboi most people don't like, in which case I would like you to show me a better alternative if you can :) in terms of value for money, my budget is anywhere from 300-700 but I don't want to pay for an OTT model and features I won't use I won't use e.g. playing videogames

if u can get a hold of last mnths e-week or PC Mag get it, they had a comparision chart of the latest laptops that are out in the market performance wise, cost wise.
if u want something for cheap but a high end one then go for a compaq or HP
if not then go for a Sony VAIO, they are known to last long with hardly any problems. i wuld say stay away from Toshibas they have major heat sink issues, i had one and i changed it twice in two years but again the same problem.

lineyman
03-09-2007, 21:19
if u can get a hold of last mnths e-week or PC Mag get it, they had a comparision chart of the latest laptops that are out in the market performance wise, cost wise.
if u want something for cheap but a high end one then go for a compaq or HP
if not then go for a Sony VAIO, they are known to last long with hardly any problems. i wuld say stay away from Toshibas they have major heat sink issues, i had one and i changed it twice in two years but again the same problem.

I bought a Toshiba laptop had it for over a year not had ONE single issue with it never gave me any problems only thing i can knock it back on is the inbuilt wifi card is not very powerful when im right downstairs just runs on low internet connection but still works perfectly!

AmericanBoi
03-09-2007, 21:37
I bought a Toshiba laptop had it for over a year not had ONE single issue with it never gave me any problems only thing i can knock it back on is the inbuilt wifi card is not very powerful when im right downstairs just runs on low internet connection but still works perfectly!

well cos me other friend had the same model and he too had the same issue, so i dont know maybe we both got defective pieces from the same batch lol.
i never had problem with the wifi card it was a super g so found plenty of other networks too in a wide range.

MizzyBone
03-09-2007, 21:54
well cos me other friend had the same model and he too had the same issue, so i dont know maybe we both got defective pieces from the same batch lol.
i never had problem with the wifi card it was a super g so found plenty of other networks too in a wide range.

Lol well Toshiba is a Japanese company they probably send all the defective ones to the US.