PDA

View Full Version : Materialistic People and fascination with Consumerism

Predeta
04-02-2008, 20:15
ive never understood them... for me my personal happiness isnt dependant on my accumualtion of material possesions.. i guess im nt ur standard east london asian dude.. who has wet dreams about cars.. for me cars aint really nothing but a machine to get u from A to B.. i dont try to be in a flash b*****d.. ive driven in BMW and Mercs.. and it didnt really do shit 4 me...the way i think is do i really need sumfing to show off to other ppl emphasise my social 'status'?

then u gt those ppl who are krazy over s**t like jewellery n gold.. ive never understood that fascination..jewellery is just a peice of well moulded metal.. u put a ring on ur finger or a necklace round ur neck.. then what use is it too apart from lukin gud?.....

as for clothes..i larf at ppl who spending hundreds of pounds on sumfing just cos its a well know name or label.. i know sum ppl who wont wear sumink if it aint a brand name.. like if ima be wearing ..there like " is it levi or deisel " etc.. i cudnt care less what brand name is on my jeans.. ima wear sumfing ima feel comfortable in...

pepsi
04-02-2008, 20:21
ive never understood them... for me my personal happiness isnt dependant on my accumualtion of material possesions.. i guess im nt ur standard east london asian dude.. who has wet dreams about cars.. for me cars aint really nothing but a machine to get u from A to B.. i dont try to be in a flash b*****d.. ive driven in BMW and Mercs.. and it didnt really do shit 4 me...the way i think is do i really need sumfing to show off to other ppl emphasise my social 'status'?

then u gt those ppl who are krazy over s**t like jewellery n gold.. ive never understood that fascination..jewellery is just a peice of well moulded metal.. u put a ring on ur finger or a necklace round ur neck.. then what use is it too apart from lukin gud?.....

as for clothes..i larf at ppl who spending hundreds of pounds on sumfing just cos its a well know name or label.. i know sum ppl who wont wear sumink if it aint a brand name.. like if ima be wearing ..there like " is it levi or deisel " etc.. i cudnt care less what brand name is on my jeans.. ima wear sumfing ima feel comfortable in...

well mate initially i had to 'larf' at some of the spelling there but credit where credit is due, this is a really brilliant topic and for years ive harboured the same kind attitude as you. One person, who was a work colleague of mine insisted on 'flashing the cash' so to speak...and i mean he would literally stand in front of us and count his money and look to see if we were looking until one day this girl said ' put your notes away mate, its cheap and vulgar' and that was at a team meeting!! lols

and she was like quiet as a mouse usually, should have seen his face! he was exposed as the flash twat he truly was...

pepsi
04-02-2008, 20:23
also u have to remember that the older generation along with most women in asian communities do unfortunately hold material goods as prize possesions and a persons worth is dependant on it..sad but true

Predeta
04-02-2008, 20:23
i deliberately spell like that..that slang/text typing..

Zero
04-02-2008, 20:25
Im hardly materialistic myself. People who know me see that Ima simple dude, who dresses like...um...an average guy?

Although when theres a time to dress nicely, namely a wedding or going out to dinner, then boy-oh-boy...heh.

pepsi
04-02-2008, 20:26
Im hardly materialistic myself. People who know me see that Ima simple dude, who dresses like...um...an average guy?

Although when theres a time to dress nicely, namely a wedding or going out to dinner, then boy-oh-boy...heh.

from what ive read so far and the manner in which u have conducted urself thus far u seem a genuine chap...p.s im not gay

Predeta
04-02-2008, 20:27
also u have to remember that the older generation along with most women in asian communities do unfortunately hold material goods as prize possesions and a persons worth is dependant on it..sad but true

oh s**t..dont say anything about women on here.. the sharks will attack u..LOL..

as for asian women and jewellery i was speakin to this guy i worked with of his about 45 and he goes to me " pakistani women..all there care is about jewellery, there never interested in making luv, unless u buy them sumink tehy aint goin near ur d**k" haha

Zero
04-02-2008, 20:27
from what ive read so far and the manner in which u have conducted urself thus far u seem a genuine chap...p.s im not gay

Lol, Im honoured. ~)

Zero
04-02-2008, 20:28
" pakistani women..all there care is about jewellery, there never interested in making luv, unless u buy them sumink tehy aint goin near ur d**k" haha

If your mate is talking about uncultured pakistani's, then you may be correct.

Predeta
04-02-2008, 20:30
whats the difference between 'cultured' and 'uncultered'.. dyu mean as in comapring the 'old fashioned' ones to the 'modern' ones

mindstate
04-02-2008, 20:30
some just believe designer labels have the best quality of clothes, lookin like a bum is a scary thought to them....some use it to impress their co-workers, friends, etc.

and some people just dont know how to capitalise....they get money for the first time...they dont know what to do with it...so they just spend it on material items....

basically..

DJ B4VVY
04-02-2008, 20:32
Oh man, what have I done :rolleyes:

Zero
04-02-2008, 20:32
whats the difference between 'cultured' and 'uncultered'.. dyu mean as in comapring the 'old fashioned' ones to the 'modern' ones

Think "pind" and "shahir" as a baseline.

Lady Shyne
04-02-2008, 20:34
some just believe designer labels have the best quality of clothes, lookin like a bum is a scary thought to them....some use it to impress their co-workers, friends, etc.

and some people just dont know how to capitalise....they get money for the first time...they dont know what to do with it...so they just spend it on material items....

basically..

exactly lol..okay sum ppl get attached to this kinda stuff..buh who dnt wna luk gud ?>

i dnt belive in flashin wah u got tho be it fones,bling etc.it jus shows u dnt realli want it.

Predeta
04-02-2008, 20:35
Oh man, what have I done :rolleyes:

dnt give urself too much credit.. i aint do this thread cos of u.. *)

DJ B4VVY
04-02-2008, 20:37
dnt give urself too much credit.. i aint do this thread cos of u.. *)

No need to lie puthar, I know you made this thread after the little comment you made in my thread about my car!

pepsi
04-02-2008, 20:48
from a personal point of view, i really feel its going to be hard finding a girl, well an asian one who dosent demand, money and cars..etc

DJ B4VVY
04-02-2008, 20:53
from a personal point of view, i really feel its going to be hard finding a girl, well an asian one who dosent demand, money and cars..etc

I'm sure most of the girls on here would agree that we don't demand such things...

Axii
04-02-2008, 20:54
i like this topic..very good..im not so much of a material person but it takes a strong person to avoid all the influences around us..and im not gna lie..ive given in on numerous occasions..no doubt alot of you guys have too..but all in all..i try to avoid brands and flash bits and bobs jus for namesake...

Predeta
04-02-2008, 21:19

haha i feel u bro.. there was this girl i knew from uni ..i was chatin to her on msn..and she gimme sum long dirty list.. of waht she wants in her man.. it was shit like...he has to make 60 grand a year..enuff money for her nt to go out and have to woprk// he has to have a car worth over 30k.. he cant live with his parents.. etc.. then i replied to her.. " so that means i have no chance with u"

DJ B4VVY
04-02-2008, 21:28
haha i feel u bro.. there was this girl i knew from uni ..i was chatin to her on msn..and she gimme sum long dirty list.. of waht she wants in her man.. it was shit like...he has to make 60 grand a year..enuff money for her nt to go out and have to woprk// he has to have a car worth over 30k.. he cant live with his parents.. etc.. then i replied to her.. " so that means i have no chance with u"

I think you'll find that most of the girls on this forum ain't like that ^^

What kind of girls have you been talking to :s

.Prizzle.
04-02-2008, 21:34

well as bav said not all girls on this forum are like that!
i for one aint like dat
the girls u probably talk to are all stuck up and daddy's little princesses

DJ B4VVY
04-02-2008, 21:35
I ain't like that either!

Evil_Genious
04-02-2008, 21:48
Materialistic people are never happy and are jealous, selfish and shallow people....

And most people have said a lot so I'm not gna repeat what's already been said...

But remember that there's a difference between people that are materialistic (wear only brand names down to the socks) and people wanting something that isn't gonna fall apart and represents quality.... Obviously you get what you pay for, so if you buy a £50 jumper you get a better fit, better quality and don't get people wearing the same shit as you as you walk down the high road.... Obviously buying £20 panks and socks is nonsense....

In some cases though it's justified, and I have my indulgences. But I ain't materialistic, coz in my mind, things come and things go.... It's whatever... But when you need some quality, you need some quality.... So in otherwords I ain't got a hippie mindstate but I ain't a yuppie money wasting idiot....

When I was a kid, I didn't have much..... Now that I'm older.... I don't want much.....

LOL...

Guji-Ji
04-02-2008, 21:50
Good topic but everything depends.

Some people love cars for the love of cars, not the social status if you get what i mean.

Also as EG says some designer clothing guarantees longer use but that depends too.

I think theres 2 sides to the argument.

DJ B4VVY
04-02-2008, 21:50
I ain't got a hippie mindstate but I ain't a yuppie money wasting idiot....

Nicely put :)

I'm like that too

pepsi
04-02-2008, 22:09

so shes effectively a mistress or a 'kept woman' as they used to call it..a woman whose in a relationship for personal wealth gain? a lot of asian girls tend to think that way, its really getting quite worrying...what happened to love or caring for someone first?:,

pepsi
04-02-2008, 22:15
well as bav said not all girls on this forum are like that!
i for one aint like dat
the girls u probably talk to are all stuck up and daddy's little princesses

from what ive seen near enough everyone here is friendly and the girls have all been nice

i thought all asian girls were either daddys princesses or stuck up!!!

is it wrong for me to consider marrying someone whose not asian?8S coz i think im heading that way...i couldnt see myself with someone who says 'innit bruv' and whose conversation is limited to discussing the merits of the 'jay sean'

mindstate
04-02-2008, 22:17
nothing wrong with being materialistic....its a lifestyle...just like...those who chose not to be materialistic...

not one myself, but...each side has its ying and yang...

.Prizzle.
04-02-2008, 22:19

well u were wrong

DJ B4VVY
04-02-2008, 22:21
from what ive seen near enough everyone here is friendly and the girls have all been nice

is it wrong for me to consider marrying someone whose not asian?8S coz i think im heading that way...i couldnt see myself with someone who says 'innit bruv' and whose conversation is limited to discussing the merits of the 'jay sean'

I think you will find that most of the Asian girls on here do not speak like that.

Gay Sean? :oh

pepsi
04-02-2008, 22:22
I think you will find that most of the Asian girls on here do not speak like that.

Gay Sean? :oh

why do u take things so personal??!:eek:

DJ B4VVY
04-02-2008, 22:26
why do u take things so personal??!:eek:

I don't like the way you generalise :i

Evil_Genious
04-02-2008, 22:39
Begs the question:

What's worse?

Ignorance or Materialism?

Perhaps they are close cousins.... One gives birth to another.... One can't be with out the other, but one can be without the other one.... Which is which, I won't say..... Some say it but don't live it....... But your actions can't conceal the contradictions.....

Guji-Ji
04-02-2008, 22:45
Begs the question:

What's worse?

Perhaps they are close cousins.... One gives birth to another.... One can't be with out the other, but one can be without the other one.... Which is which, I won't say..... Some say it but don't live it....... But your actions can't conceal the contradictions.....
Lol that made so much sense and no sense at all at the same time...

pepsi
04-02-2008, 22:45
Begs the question:

What's worse?

your intellect is wasted here on AP...

pepsi
04-02-2008, 22:46

lols, just going on past experience thats all

pepsi
04-02-2008, 22:48

i mean the fact you have a stylish car advertised in your profile would suggest to me a certain fetish for blokes with hot wheels and that u wouldnt drop your knickers unless a guy had some alloys at the very least, maybe more for tinted windows etc...

Guji-Ji
04-02-2008, 22:48
your intellect is wasted here on AP...
i agree. you should become a speaker EG.

Evil_Genious
04-02-2008, 22:52
LOL it's not wasted.....

Some people are thinking.... Others don't........

I just say stuff, most of the time you're filling in the gaps yourselves.....

DJ B4VVY
04-02-2008, 22:54
i mean the fact you have a stylish car advertised in your profile would suggest to me a certain fetish for blokes with hot wheels and that u wouldnt drop your knickers unless a guy had some alloys at the very least, maybe more for tinted windows etc...

Erm, that's just a bog standard VW Polo :oh and it's mine, not anyone elses! But I wouldn't drop my knickers for just any guy even if he was rich and bought me nice things :s

DJ B4VVY
04-02-2008, 22:55
Lol that made so much sense and no sense at all at the same time...

Lol, that's what I thought!

pepsi
04-02-2008, 22:56
Erm, that's just a bog standard VW Polo :oh and it's mine, not anyone elses! But I wouldn't drop my knickers for just any guy even if he was rich and bought me nice things :s

thats good , a really refreshing attitude, because ive heard of some asian girls who would plunge the depths of depravity for some ugly bloke with a large wallet, it makes genuine good willed blokes lose faith in asian women...:,

pepsi
04-02-2008, 22:57

why have u placed it in that secure lock up style garage as if its a lamborghini then?

DJ B4VVY
04-02-2008, 22:59
why have u placed it in that secure lock up style garage as if its a lamborghini then?

I ain't gonna leave it out on the streets for some idiot to nick it or damage it in any way, ain't it obvious? I worked damn hard to buy that and I only just got it last week, I want it to last me a good few years!

DJ B4VVY
04-02-2008, 23:00
thats good , a really refreshing attitude, because ive heard of some asian girls who would plunge the depths of depravity for some ugly bloke with a large wallet, it makes genuine good willed blokes lose faith in asian women...:,

Well I hope myself and the girls of AP can change your mind on that matter!

Evil_Genious
04-02-2008, 23:05

'They' say - the way nature has it is: the ugly girls go for the good looking blokes coz their maternal instinct makes them, so their kids are good looking and in turn have a good shot to procreate.... The good looking girls go for the dudes with the cash and the flashness coz they already look good and have a better chance to have good looking kids who will procreate....

LOL.... May be pure jackshit... My dude says; when you buy a open top spanking new BMW - the bitch comes with the car....

You laff at it at first, but it has that ring of truth in it's sadness....

Girls that go for a dude with cash is just as bad as a dude that looks for a pretty girl purely for her looks I mean... That's still materialism, even though it's for another person.... You know what I mean?

I say a bitch that comes with the doe, stays for the doe.... And when the doe is gone..........

............The bitch is gone too.......

Predeta
04-02-2008, 23:06
nothing personal..but they way EG types..vocabulary grammar etc.. is how i would write my assignments dissertations etc...doesnt really sound like how a normal conversation would flow...it just comes across as ure trying to hard to look intelligent..

DJ B4VVY
04-02-2008, 23:08
nothing personal..but they way EG types..vocabulary grammar etc.. is how i would write my assignments dissertations etc...doesnt really sound like how a normal conversation would flow...it just comes across as ure trying to hard to look intelligent..

What's wrong with the way he types? I also type like that.

LuBz
04-02-2008, 23:08

Don't believe everythin u hear.. Or at least don't generalise ?:

For me.. Material things don't matter. I'm not gonna lie I do buy designer stuff now and then but it's because I like it and certainly not for social status. But thas not very often seein as I wear asian clothes most the time.. :oh

Money ain't a thing.. My past has taught me to appreciate things in life. I like cars.. Thas probably my biggest weakness but again, it's something I'M into.. I like it for me.. Not to boost my status. Someone said something about Bavvys av.. Forget avvy, I have numerous threads on cars.. And it's not to impress any dude. So yeah whoever said that.. *SLAP 4 u* >< I'm growing up to be independent so a guys money would hardly come into the equation.. Would be more about the person himself.

People that are doing well for themselves.. Well good on em.. But personally a show off doesn't gain any respect from me.. If anything it makes them look silly.. Quite sad if someone has to rely on money to make themselves look good huh..

Predeta
04-02-2008, 23:10
'They' say - the way nature has it is: the ugly girls go for the good looking blokes coz their maternal instinct makes them, so their kids are good looking and in turn have a good shot to procreate.... The good looking girls go for the dudes with the cash and the flashness coz they already look good and have a better chance to have good looking kids who will procreate....

LOL.... May be pure jackshit... My dude says; when you buy a open top spanking new BMW - the bitch comes with the car....

You laff at it at first, but it has that ring of truth in it's sadness....

Girls that go for a dude with cash is just as bad as a dude that looks for a pretty girl purely for her looks I mean... That's still materialism, even though it's for another person.... You know what I mean?

I say a bitch that comes with the doe, stays for the doe.... And when the doe is gone..........

............The bitch is gone too.......

put everything in2 perspective..if ure a woman with decent or above average looks ur able to get most men u want..women consider us walking, talking dildos.. but thats a whole different topic.. but if u can get a man who can give u financial security.. are u really gonna be in2 the guy who has to top up his oyster every day?

.Prizzle.
04-02-2008, 23:11

thats just EG and how he chats!
he straight up
nothing fake about him

pepsi
04-02-2008, 23:15

come on mate u cant knock the bloke for using correct grammar, it should be commended not frowned upon

pepsi
04-02-2008, 23:16
put everything in2 perspective..if ure a woman with decent or above average looks ur able to get most men u want..women consider us walking, talking dildos.. but thats a whole different topic.. but if u can get a man who can give u financial security.. are u really gonna be in2 the guy who has to top up his oyster every day?

for the people who dont work in zone 1 central london that comment about oyster card would have sailed over their heads!!

pepsi
04-02-2008, 23:17
Well I hope myself and the girls of AP can change your mind on that matter!

well u seem ok...

DJ B4VVY
04-02-2008, 23:20
for the people who dont work in zone 1 central london that comment about oyster card would have sailed over their heads!!

Yea, like mine!

DJ B4VVY
04-02-2008, 23:21
well u seem ok...

Thanks, but how do you know me?

Evil_Genious
04-02-2008, 23:24
LOL - I won't take it personal. But the thread isn't really about me.... I just say stuff in anyway that gets my point accross.... Sometimes I be ambiguous on purpose... Sometimes I pick my words, sometimes I don't....

I don't really sit and ponder words and try and say a word for the sake of saying it... But I do say a word when it just makes sense... I talk in two tones, when in conversation like now..... And when I'm just putting my thoughts down for no particular person..... It just depends... Anyway, Prizzo said it... That's just me....

What am I gna achieve from impressing people on the internet? LOL.... I just vibe on the net and let what I feel out.. Anyway this thread isn't about me....

DJ B4VVY
04-02-2008, 23:26
I know, it's my fault :( ^^

pepsi
04-02-2008, 23:27
Thanks, but how do you know me?

just know u from your stalking me today!

pepsi
04-02-2008, 23:27
evil g, you have balboa in your pic, your all good in my book.....adrrrriaaaaaannnn

N a в ι н a
04-02-2008, 23:28
Tut Tut Predy Boy.. there you go again with your 'All Asian Girls do this and that crap'

Mann you live in a bubble..

My attitude is.. If someone wants to be matierialistic.. let them. Makes no difference to my life whatsoever.

I've always had the attitude, that when it comes to me getting married.. aslong as my Hubster earns his wage in a halal way.. im happy. Saying that.. i don't paticularly want to marry no bin man either. Not because I want my husband to buy me new clothes all the time.. cars and what not. But for the basis I want my kids to live a average good life.

When it comes to arranged marriages.. one of the questions all parents will ask.. is what does your son do? Not because of social status.. but because they want their daughters to live comfortable (this doesn't mean flashy) lives. So by saying it's the asian girls who care.. i'll say you were wrong there.. it's more the parents.

One day.. I hope you get married to the perfect asian kurri.. and she shuts u the hell up!

DJ B4VVY
04-02-2008, 23:29
just know u from your stalking me today!

What stalking?

DJ B4VVY
04-02-2008, 23:30
Tut Tut Predy Boy.. there you go again with your 'All Asian Girls do this and that crap'

Mann you live in a bubble..

My attitude is.. If someone wants to be matierialistic.. let them. Makes no difference to my life whatsoever.

I've always had the attitude, that when it comes to me getting married.. aslong as my Hubster earns his wage in a halal way.. im happy. Saying that.. i don't paticularly want to marry no bin man either. Not because I want my husband to buy me new clothes all the time.. cars and what not. But for the basis I want my kids to live a average good life.

When it comes to arranged marriages.. one of the questions all parents will ask.. is what does your son do? Not because of social status.. but because they want their daughters to live comfortable (this doesn't mean flashy) lives. So by saying it's the asian girls who care.. i'll say you were wrong there.. it's more the parents.

One day.. I hope you get married to the perfect asian kurri.. and she shuts u the hell up!

Bin men get paid about £10 an hour!

Evil_Genious
04-02-2008, 23:30
So then you don't care about the halal earnings specifically....

There's no point in saying it when you don't mean it.....

That's nature vs nurture.... And political correctness.....

pepsi
04-02-2008, 23:34
What stalking?

the constant ass licking..:d

DJ B4VVY
04-02-2008, 23:35
the constant ass licking..:d

How can me not agreeing with what you say be classed as ass licking :s

N a в ι н a
04-02-2008, 23:35
My point is.. I wouldn't knock a guy down for not having money.. not having a good car. Stuff like that..

In my opinion the people who have all those things.. because of drugs and fraud and what not.. I wouldn't even consider being with.

However.. it is in everyone's nature to have some sort of standards.. and I dont think theres nothing wrong with that. In my opinion, there welfare of my future kids comes into it.

I can see how my first post came out wrong.. im pretty doped out right now. Makes sense in my head.

Spider Pig
04-02-2008, 23:40
I know what your saying there ppl I know that spend daft amounts on money on clothes, its like a trend for ppl who want to look popular etc. I spend money on clothes but not regularly on the hundreds! no way, the only time Ive done that is for like special occasions i.e weddings etc. or one off items. I can usually get very good gear that I like for the average price ranging from 40-70 quid, but there are ppl who will go into shops that put up the price of a normal t-shirt by like 60% and then they can say "oh I got it from this shop" blaa blaaa etc...

Spider Pig
04-02-2008, 23:41
If I had a lot of money and could buy a very good car without it effecting my living then I would, I wouldn't be showing off, I would be doing it because I like the car but I wouldn't "buzz" off it, I would just enjoy what I have.

pepsi
04-02-2008, 23:51
My point is.. I wouldn't knock a guy down for not having money.. not having a good car. Stuff like that..

In my opinion the people who have all those things.. because of drugs and fraud and what not.. I wouldn't even consider being with.

However.. it is in everyone's nature to have some sort of standards.. and I dont think theres nothing wrong with that. In my opinion, there welfare of my future kids comes into it.

I can see how my first post came out wrong.. im pretty doped out right now. Makes sense in my head.

you have a really good head on your shoulders and a sensible outlook on life, but problem is that all goes out the window when some bitch sees a lexus and starts lusting after it like a prostitute..

pepsi
04-02-2008, 23:52
Bin men get paid about £10 an hour!

yeah but its hardly a reputable career...

Evil_Genious
04-02-2008, 23:55
LOL.....

On that note..... I'm off to bed.....

Actually wait..... I'll just say one more thing.... Nabiha is young yet, she has a long way to go.... She still says things that she doesn't know if she really means.... She's a touch on the innocent side.... So there's no real point in tryna catch her out on what she says.... Just let her be, she's learning and trust me, if you talk to her in a few years time, she'll think something completely new..... Or re-inforced the way she thinks and know why she thinks it.....

There's a lot of people on this forum like that, its good though... It's natural.....

diva2620
05-02-2008, 04:21
I'm not a material girl , I dont wear designer clothes and dont spend crap loads on clothes . I care about my image , but i do it to make myself feel better.. i dont flash anything i never have and i never will , its sad..i dont care about popularity i couldnt give a shit. I'm defo not one of those girls who dates a dude because of the car he drives , how much he earns etc ...i know plenty of girls who are dating dudes because there in bands and love how they can say ''yeah my boyfriends going to be a rock star'' i just think like seriously? thats lame just another groupie!