PDA

View Full Version : Changes for Student Finance 2009/10

DJ B4VVY
07-04-2009, 09:55
I don't know how many of you are aware of this but Student Finance is being centralised from the 2009/10 academic year.

This means that all new students who are applying for finance for courses starting in September 2009 will have to apply directly with Student Finance England (previously called Student Loans Company). You will need to either apply either online at www.direct.gov.uk/studentfinance (http://www.direct.gov.uk/studentfinance) and send original documents to the central processing unit in Darlington or download the form from there and send it with original documents to Darlington. You will not be able to apply through your Local Education Authority (LEA) anymore.

For returning students, you will be encouraged to apply online or you can download the form from the website and hand it in to your LEA. They are using the same tax year as last year (don't know why) so if you handed in evidence last year, you won't need to do it again this year.

In 2011, all LEA's will be closed down and everyone will have to apply online to Student Finance England.

If you have any questions about it, post in this thread!

Guji-Ji
07-04-2009, 10:03
Oh yea heard about this... So should I do it on paper again or just go for online this year? Seeing as I'm not doing it through LEA.

DJ B4VVY
07-04-2009, 10:10
If you're returning it will go through your LEA even if you do it online but if you do it online, you may get the hassle of not being able to log on or numerous other problems and then not being able to get through to someone to talk about it!

Best bet if your returning is to fill a paper one in.

Rab C Nesbit
07-04-2009, 10:32
FFS.
I don't want to send documents anywhere.
Organisations are so shit are returning things back, even when you send a SAE with a Signed For sticker on it.

When can you start applying to student finance people?
Can you do it before you even know whether you've got a place, or not?

DJ B4VVY
07-04-2009, 10:36
Yea you can apply before you get a place and you can apply now if you want!

Guji-Ji
07-04-2009, 12:04
If you're returning it will go through your LEA even if you do it online but if you do it online, you may get the hassle of not being able to log on or numerous other problems and then not being able to get through to someone to talk about it!

Best bet if your returning is to fill a paper one in.
So I can still apply through LEA as I'm a returning student?

Cheeky_Princess
07-04-2009, 12:30
i aim to start this sometimes this week lol

DJ B4VVY
07-04-2009, 13:10
So I can still apply through LEA as I'm a returning student?

Yep, you sure can!

Guji-Ji
07-04-2009, 13:46
Yep, you sure can!
Thank yous! I went to my LEA yesterday to get a PN1 form and they had the 08/09 ones. Is that normal? Or they just lazy?

Iroquois Pliskin
07-04-2009, 13:51
Its gonna be a bitch as im up north..

Memphis
07-04-2009, 13:55
Just apply for a maintenance grant and use that to pay for your loan...no more debts...:D

DJ B4VVY
07-04-2009, 14:07
Thank yous! I went to my LEA yesterday to get a PN1 form and they had the 08/09 ones. Is that normal? Or they just lazy?

I thought you were a returning student?

DJ B4VVY
07-04-2009, 14:08
Its gonna be a bitch as im up north..

Apparently you guys get more money? Or your tuition fees are less?

Guji-Ji
07-04-2009, 14:12
I thought you were a returning student?
Don't you fill out the same form? 8S

DJ B4VVY
07-04-2009, 14:21
Don't you fill out the same form? 8S

Nope! It's a PR1 form for the 09/10 academic year! But LEA's only have limited amounts of paper forms, if they run out then you will have to ring SFE for one or you'll have to do it online!

Guji-Ji
07-04-2009, 14:39
Nope! It's a PR1 form for the 09/10 academic year! But LEA's only have limited amounts of paper forms, if they run out then you will have to ring SFE for one or you'll have to do it online!
Oh i see. Thanks. I could print it too but so many sheets. Would cost a few quid lol.

StyLeZ
08-04-2009, 12:15
can someone post me the link?? please? I didnt know they changed it now...

Rab C Nesbit
08-04-2009, 12:59
Just apply for a maintenance grant and use that to pay for your loan...no more debts...:D

That's what I want to do, but it depends on whether I can secure some sort of a job.

If you apply for the Tuition Fee Loan thingybob, could you cancel it half way through?

DJ B4VVY
08-04-2009, 13:21
can someone post me the link?? please? I didnt know they changed it now...

A link to what?

That's what I want to do, but it depends on whether I can secure some sort of a job.

If you apply for the Tuition Fee Loan thingybob, could you cancel it half way through?

Yea you can

xxMINAxx
08-04-2009, 13:24
Bav, if I'm applying for this year do you suggest that I fill the form on paper or online? Also, is it correct that as I'm under 25 (I think) that I'm deemed on being financially dependant on my parents?

DJ B4VVY
08-04-2009, 13:30
Bav, if I'm applying for this year do you suggest that I fill the form on paper or online? Also, is it correct that as I'm under 25 (I think) that I'm deemed on being financially dependant on my parents?

If you are returning I suggest you fill in a paper form but if you're a new student, you have no option but to fill it in online!

Yea, if you're under 25 you will be seen as dependent on your parents but there are factors which you can apply as an independent student for example, if you've been self-supporting (working) for 3 years prior to the start of your course, you can apply as an independent student but if your household income is low, it wouldn't really make a difference.

xxMINAxx
08-04-2009, 13:38
If you are returning I suggest you fill in a paper form but if you're a new student, you have no option but to fill it in online!

Yea, if you're under 25 you will be seen as dependent on your parents but there are factors which you can apply as an independent student for example, if you've been self-supporting (working) for 3 years prior to the start of your course, you can apply as an independent student but if your household income is low, it wouldn't really make a difference.

Oh.. I'll do it online.
I've been working part-time for the last 5 years.. household income is low anyway. I need to get it done..:) I'll as if I have any problems..:)

Cheeky_Princess
19-07-2009, 19:52
BAAV i need help urgently!

I've finally submitted it but i applied for maintenance and tuition fee loans and said non income assed but someone said to me to get the grant you should have done income assed but it was already enough the money they were giving me... :S

can i still apply for a maintenance grant? through parents?
or do i have to change the whole income and non income assed thing? which i can't seem to do currently :S as its submitted...

StyLeZ
19-07-2009, 20:24
^^ im in the same bludy position...i submitted it without giving evidence of taxes for parents whiich u need to assess how much u get for the grant..arghh....

Cheeky_Princess
19-07-2009, 20:35
^^ im in the same bludy position...i submitted it without giving evidence of taxes for parents whiich u need to assess how much u get for the grant..arghh....

Oh fuck i'v fucked it up then? Haven't
oh my gosh i leave it for so long finally think i've done it today and i mess it up grr!

There not clear on the site seriously cuz i mean there giving enough money away as non income assed why the hell would you bother to do income assed they should say you need to do it for grant!

ARGHH

Have you rang them yet?

StyLeZ
19-07-2009, 20:46
u knw wat lemme tlk 2 u on msn

Cheeky_Princess
20-07-2009, 16:11
Ok so i did ring them today
You are meant to do income assesed if you want to do the grant
but since i did non income assed... I have to get my parents to fill in the pff1 form and send it of with a covering letter.
I honestly wish i spoke to my dad now before hand cuz i'm going to get a huge bollocking

DJ B4VVY
21-07-2009, 12:57
Yea the Grant is one you don't pay back which us why most people apply for that plus the Tuition Fee Loan. People only bother with the Maintenance Loan if they are living away from home and have more expenses.

Zero
21-07-2009, 13:09
If you want any sort of "grant" you have to do the income assessed application right?

shelim
21-07-2009, 13:27
If you want any sort of "grant" you have to do the income assessed application right?

yeh your right, i need to fill in my application but for some reason i havent been posted one yet, last year i got mine posted but noting this year yet...

bav if i've previously filled in the form and handed it to them in my LEA then would it make a difference whether i do it online this time or would you say it would be less trouble filling in the form rather than doing it online?

man im doing this too late... :(

Zero
21-07-2009, 13:36
Okay cool...cos I got denied last year for the grant lol...so I took up a maintenance loan this year. I think I did the paper application for the first year....you know...go online create an account then show some stuff to your local centre...

However, when I re-applied, I didn't have to send anything? :/

DJ B4VVY
23-07-2009, 12:15

Yep that's right

yeh your right, i need to fill in my application but for some reason i havent been posted one yet, last year i got mine posted but noting this year yet...

bav if i've previously filled in the form and handed it to them in my LEA then would it make a difference whether i do it online this time or would you say it would be less trouble filling in the form rather than doing it online?

man im doing this too late... :(

It is less trouble doing a paper one trust me, you don't know how many people I've told to do a paper one but they go ahead and do it online and then come back and say "Oh, it's not working, it says this and that" and all I can say is "I told you so!" because they end up filling in a paper form after all that hassle anyway and it gets delayed even more!

BTW the deadline for continuing students was 22nd May!

Okay cool...cos I got denied last year for the grant lol...so I took up a maintenance loan this year. I think I did the paper application for the first year....you know...go online create an account then show some stuff to your local centre...

However, when I re-applied, I didn't have to send anything? :/

No because they're using the same tax year as last year for some strange reason so you would have handed in the evidence last year so you don't need to submit anything with your form this year.

Cheeky_Princess
23-07-2009, 23:02
OK bav so to clear up they told me to get my parents to fill in the finance stuff and send a cover letter and they'll change my online application to income assed do you think thats ok?

Also i took out a maintence loan online but to be honest i don't want it so if i tell them that in my cover letter that if they can asses me for the grant and give me that rather then the loan will that be ok?

It didn't even have the option or pointers online about the grant..

I've left it late but i'm not that bothered as im not moving out aslong as they get the money for tution fee thou lol

Pac Man
23-07-2009, 23:15
i need to fill mines in....pronto

DJ B4VVY
24-07-2009, 09:42
OK bav so to clear up they told me to get my parents to fill in the finance stuff and send a cover letter and they'll change my online application to income assed do you think thats ok?

Also i took out a maintence loan online but to be honest i don't want it so if i tell them that in my cover letter that if they can asses me for the grant and give me that rather then the loan will that be ok?

It didn't even have the option or pointers online about the grant..

I've left it late but i'm not that bothered as im not moving out aslong as they get the money for tution fee thou lol

Yea you can cancel or re-apply for the loans any time you want during the academic year, you just need to fill in a Loan Request Form and specify you want nil amount of loan.

And yes, they can re-assess you for the grant. You should be ok with it but if you do need any more money, just apply for the Maintenance Loan

Cheeky_Princess
25-07-2009, 01:57
ahh oK thanks :)

shelim
25-07-2009, 04:04
It is less trouble doing a paper one trust me, you don't kow how many people I've told to do a paper one but they go ahead and do it online and then come back and say "Oh, it's not working, it says this and that" and all I can say is "I told you so!" because they end up filling in a paper form after all that hassle anyway and it gets delayed even more!

BTW the deadline for continuing students was 22nd May!

i called them and the people on the phone are useless bunch of twats, they havent got a clue what they are talking about and barely knw what is on the papers...

but the guy told me theya re coming close to the deadline, he didnt say the deadline has gone

DJ B4VVY
26-07-2009, 21:38
Yea they have such a high turnover of staff, none of them know what they're doing, and I'm not saying this because I'm biased but LEA people know more about what they are talking about - like me :D lol. The deadline for returning students was the 22nd of May and the deadline for new students was the 26th of June. I told you they don't know what they're talking about!

Cheeky_Princess
28-07-2009, 02:33
Bloody hell " Approved - Awaiting Signature "

Already? but then i did do NON income assesd...

Bav they've already approved it i won't have an issue would i when i send them a letter telling me to income asses me for the grant when i send the proof along with my signature thing?

shelim
28-07-2009, 03:30
done mine today was so much easier not much to fil in... for returning student?

DJ B4VVY
28-07-2009, 12:19
Bloody hell " Approved - Awaiting Signature "

Already? but then i did do NON income assesd...

Bav they've already approved it i won't have an issue would i when i send them a letter telling me to income asses me for the grant when i send the proof along with my signature thing?

Don't send the declaration yet. Wait until they've sorted out your income assessment then they will send you another one which you will need to sign and send back to them.

DJ B4VVY
28-07-2009, 12:21
done mine today was so much easier not much to fil in... for returning student?

Yea that's right, there may be alot of pages but not much to fill in because most of it is the same as you filled in the year before especially because they're using the same tax year for your parents income so they don't have to fill their bit in either or send any evidence, just need to sign it and you're done!

Cheeky_Princess
28-07-2009, 19:17
Don't send the declaration yet. Wait until they've sorted out your income assessment then they will send you another one which you will need to sign and send back to them.

AHH OK thanks I'll do that then!

Phew!

vertigo
28-07-2009, 19:18
o man im so screwed, i still havent even applyed for mine yet

~Fire-Hazard~
28-07-2009, 20:32
Lol you'll be fine. You'll just get your stuff a lil late and not on the day you start uni. I used to apply mine in August every year when I was at uni and always got my stuff within the first couple of weeks!

Guji-Ji
29-07-2009, 11:34
The woman at my LEA told me to send it without having to wait and I did... =S. Will that be a problem?

DJ B4VVY
29-07-2009, 12:28
To be honest, I don't think it matters too much. Just don't get mixed up with your paperwork when the final notifications/payment schedule letters come through!

sheff gal
29-07-2009, 13:47
Bavvv---... i havent filled out anythng on my finance... am i in serious shit?.x

DJ B4VVY
29-07-2009, 14:26
No you can still apply but if you're starting your first year this year then you will have to do it online.

sheff gal
29-07-2009, 15:59
ive been told i can send the application form off?.

Rab C Nesbit
29-07-2009, 18:22
Bav, I'm being a spack...
Apparently because I've already used the SLC before, I don't count as a new student, and I haven't got through on the phone every time I called up..

Shall I just change my name slightly, or address, or something?

DJ B4VVY
29-07-2009, 18:43
ive been told i can send the application form off?.

Yea you can download it and fill it in as a paper form or you can get them to send you a paper form and send it off to them.

DJ B4VVY
29-07-2009, 18:44
Bav, I'm being a spack...
Apparently because I've already used the SLC before, I don't count as a new student, and I haven't got through on the phone every time I called up..

Shall I just change my name slightly, or address, or something?

So you're a returning student? Don't you have an LEA where you applied to last year? And how come you can't get through on the phone? Is it because you don't have your ART ID number?

Rab C Nesbit
31-07-2009, 11:19
I don't know...
I was at uni last year.
I dropped out.

I'm now going back to do another course - my old college tutor said I should be classed as a new student.

I have my old ART ID, but stupid phone keeps me on hold for aaages, last time I counted 54 minutes...
I'm going to try again today

DJ B4VVY
31-07-2009, 12:23
If you withdrew from your course last year then yes you will be a new student and will have to deal with Student Finance England.

Shaz.
24-08-2009, 12:56
What the hell is going on with Student Finance?!

I sent my declaration form off on the 30th June and since then i've had no further notices?! Last year i remember getting quite a few notifcations!

And everytime i try ring up theyre freaking busy.

StyLeZ
24-08-2009, 13:44
^^ happened to the same thing with my mate. he sent his off in june and still no notification lol. i got my final status sheet. i should recieve 8 grand :D

Shaz.
24-08-2009, 16:42
Bastards taking the Michael...sigh.
I've been trying to ring them all day!

Are you going into your first year stylez?

StyLeZ
24-08-2009, 17:02
yep first year...still contemplating about whether 2 go brunel or kingston tho :| hmmm well its gonna be busy the line at this time, coz u knw how students are...leave things till last minute..cant u apply online? i did that.

DJ B4VVY
24-08-2009, 19:00
Those are the problems all students will have to face once the LEA's are gone in 2 years time! You should have received your notification letter by now atleast though, I think the payment schedule gets sent to you about 2/3 weeks before the start of your course but they will have probably changed things and may send them all at once but don't quote me on that, I don't work for Student Finance anymore!